Saturday, June 8, 2024

Blade 2024 Day 2

 Day Two started off with a whimper.

We normally park at the Cumberland Mall across two pedestrian bridges.  This morning there were 4 mall cops standing at the bridge.  So, I walked up to the them and politely asked,  “Excuse me, officers.  But is there a problem here I should avoid?”

One said the parking lot was private property and she would hate to see my car towed.  So, we moved the truck, and got one of the last 12 spaces in the paid parking deck at Cobb Galleria.  I hated to do that. But I would have hated it more if I had my vehicle towed.

The mall has huge parking areas.  Seems to me they could sell some sort of window ticket for a few bucks and assure that those cars would not be towed.  Free money, folks.

I stopped at Mickey Yurco’s table.  He has an amazing, inventive mind about knives and I ended up buying a small hatchet.  He informed me he designed it for street fighting, but hikers and campers are buying them as a cutting tool.

Hatchet not what your......

I stopped off to talk with Stephen Fowler of Fowler Blades.  He makes very sophisticated fixed blades and I very much like his approach.  Too much bling turns an elegant knife into junk.  One of his knives has a little simple file work and Stephen told me “…file work should call attention to a feature, not be the feature.”  You can find him on the internet.https://fowlerblades.com/

Back at Vosteed I fell for a Thunderbird and discovered they couldn’t sell it until 3:00 this afternoon, but they promised they would hold it for me and they did.  I also discovered that my wife bought the only green handled one that they had with them the day before.  They proudly pointed her out to the staff at the booth.

I think the blade shape, with what could be called a fuller, is icey.

Later, quite by accident I walked by and found they were giving away knives.  It was a simple system, you took a ticket, turned it over and your prize was listed on the back.  I pulled a ticket at random and found I won a Raccoon, their bestselling knife.

I might name it Rocky Raccoon, but....

I’m seeing more and more button locks on production knives.  I like that, as typically they are an easy way to unlock the knife.  In my opinion, it sets up the manufacturer for a future modification to their production line to install a coil spring and start making autos.  It also set up the possibility of someone starting a cottage industry converting button locks into autos.  We have seen this with some Boker button locks and Buck knives, especial the Buck 110.

Just as an aside, I understand Mission Knife has moved from California to Kentucky.  Oh, my!  Talk about culture shock.

Let me show you a bunch more photos to capture the flavor of the Blade Show.


Another mystery man sighting.  Does he belong on a milk carton?  I assume the large fellow next to him is his security. but I didn't see a gun print.  I went to take a photo and he ducked behind a pillar, so I stepped around on the other side.  Passive-Aggressive secret identity complex?





Fox Knives is introducing some new knives with Damacarbon, which sounds like advertising speak to me!


Interesting idea, design your pocket tool with the functions you need.  I think this is a pitch for stores like Duluth Trading.




This is Tim Rowland.  He started as a high end chef
and honed his ideas about chef knives.  While he was doing this he made very nice handles for Japanese cooking knives. They were well received and  someone handed him a chunk of steel and told him to go make the rest of the knife.  He's been doing this for about 2.5 years and you can feel the difference in balance between a Japanese chef knife and a European chief knife. 

Doug and David from Forged in Fire.  






No comments: