Sunday, May 12, 2013

Boker Nano



I’ve seen it in several knife magazines and it always attracts my attention: the green-handled Boker Nano.  It took a little work, but I got one.  

Green Handled Boker Nano
The Nano comes in a nice foamed line box.



Specs? 


It’s a sub 2-inch curved blade made from 440C steel.  The blade locks open utilizing a frame lock.  The green handle is one of those almost indestructible engineering plastics, Zytel.   
 
Front of Green handled Boker Nano
The elongated opening slot lets your thumb find the right place for leverage.

The clip is removable and reversible for tip up or down.  The knife is set up for right hand carry.   
Back of Boker Nano
The back side of the Boker Nano.  The clip can be changed with two screws.
 

The overall open length is 4.75 inches which gives you a relatively large handle for griping.  It’s a compromise between size and usefulness, but I think even with my larger hands I can get a good grip on it.


 
Normal grip on Boker Green Handled Nano
Normal grip felt comfortable.


 
My grip choked up on Boker's green handled Nano
Choking up on the Boker gave a solid feel!













 
It takes a little practice to open one-handed, but not so much you give up.  Spend a half hour in front of TV driving your spouse crazy opening and closing the knife and you’ll have it.  Spend two hours and you could be in divorce court.  But you knew that already.


It weighs in at 2.9 ounces, mostly from the heavy steel blade.  You could take the clip off and save a little weight, but I like knowing my knife stays where I put it.

I find Boker an interesting company.  It’s German and their knives range from cheap junk to high end Damascus steel made from WWII Panzer tank barrels.  The Boker Nano is from the Boker Plus line.  

I think these knives are under-appreciated and give you good quality and value for your dollar or Deutsche Mark.

No comments: