Sunday, May 20, 2012

Blade Show and Counterfeit Spyderco


I’ll be attending and blogging from the Blade Show in Altanta next month. 

The Blade Show isn’t really a trade show like the SHOT Show.  Yes, large orders will be placed and taken by different vendors and company representatives, but it’s really a show for knife lovers.  They will also have the annual cutting contest.

It’s true.  Name an activity and somebody will make a contest about it.  I’m told that NASCAR has its roots in bootleggers outrunning the feds.  I don’t know if it’s true, but makes for a great story.

A tough lie.  It's in the rough and it looks partially buried.  Must have been soft ground.

I don’t know the roots of the Blade cutting contest, but contestants have a variety of objects that have to whacked off, cut through, bisected, and separated from the rest of it.  The knives are closely regulated.  I remember discussions with participants over the best place for a lanyard.  I remember several older winning designs that had points.  Most of the knives today have round noses because there is no stabbing event and the point was wasted knife.  They don’t look like the kind of knife you would carry for daily use.

The general comment seems to be that the cutting contest will result in the design of better steels, blade grinds and theories about how things are cut.  All of which will improve your knife.  Hmmm, that’s a lot to ask.

Golf ball cut in half at Blade cutting contest
Tougher than you think.  A golf ball cut with a single swing.

I worked for a tire company that used to claim what they learned from making essentially 500 miles of left hand turns with tires designed differently for each of the car's wheels produces a better passenger car tire.

That’s BS.  It produces advertisement and brand recognition.  So with that background in mind let’s just say I’m cynical about blade improvement from cutting golf balls and hacking through a 2x4.

cutting contest at blade show, gold ball cut in half, single stroke
I saw this ball cut in half with a single chop.  Impressive as hell!!!!  I wonder if the ball has a cut proof guarantee?

Still it’s amazing to watch!!!!


My friend bought this at a gun show.  The seller had a box of them and was selling them significantly below wholesale.  All the knives were without boxes.  It looks like one of Spyderco’s SLIPITS.  All the markings look good.

Suspect  spyderco knife  Slipit
Looks like a Spyderco SLIPIT.  For those cities and nations that think locking blades are TOO DANGEROUS  for the common man.
 
And the price!  It was just so good that he couldn’t resist.  The problem is the price was too good.  Is it or is it not a real Spyderco?


The blade is stamped with Spyderco CPMS30V  the steel type





Close up of knife with origin stamp.  Looks real
The flip side.  Still looks good to me?


I’m taking it to the Blade Show to ask Spyderco.

Stay tuned for more…………

4 comments:

zackerty said...

Looks exactly like my two UKPKs...
Check out the inside of the backspring, and see if the colour is a slighly golden brown colour, a remnant from the heat treat.

knife said...

I checked the inside of the backspring. It does not show any discoloration from heat treatment. It does show a rough, almost sand cast like surface. This is one reason I think it MIGHT be a fake.

Hopefully, the Blade Show will sort it out for me!

Anonymous said...

Doh! I was domain name searching at namecheap.com and went to type in the domain name: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1141494072483348631&postID=7402670647467622870 and guess
who already acquired it? You did! haha j/k. I was about to purchase this domain
name but noticed it had been taken so I thought I'd come check it out. Awesome blog!
my web site > japanese knife

knife said...

I got this knife to Spyderco. Joyce told me they have been seeing a few of these counterfeits. She admits they are so good they had to take it down to the quality department and make measurements to determine it was bogus.

moral: If the price looks too good, it is.